Programs and Events Coordinator
The Program and Events Coordinator will lead the charge in organizing and running a full calendar of public and private events year-round at Poplar Forest. The qualified candidate must be exceptionally organized and detail-oriented and willing to work a somewhat irregular work schedule (including many weekends) to ensure all events are attended. The Programs and Events Coordinator will occasionally act as the weekend property manager; opening, closing, and making sure visitors are taken care of. This position will also play a key role in coordinating adult group tours on the property throughout the year.
- Oversee the coordination of public and private events and programs on the property
- Work with vendors for catering, rentals, bands, etc.
- Schedule volunteers to work events as needed using email and Sign Up Genius
- Work with outside entities who rent the property for private events, ensuring that they follow all rules and regulations as noted in the Poplar Forest rental policy.
- Coordinate events with partner organizations i.e. Academy Center of the Arts, Jubilee Family Development Center, etc.
- Ensure event planning, day-of coordination, and clean up are quick, efficient, and as smooth as possible.
- Be the day-of point person for all event related decisions including set up and break down
- Act as Duty Officer when on property
- Ensure property is open for the public and closed at the end of the day
- Operate golf cart and handicapped lift as needed, including driving people to the lower level of the house to tour it and the wing of offices (attached to the house) as part of their tour
- Welcome volunteers at the start of each shift, thanking them for being at Poplar Forest and giving them any pertinent information needed for their shift
- Give tours to groups as needed
- Coordinate, staff, and manage all adult groups onsite including schedule docents to give tours.
- Work with Hands on History Coordinator to ensure school groups, adult groups, and events don’t overlap.
- Assist in maintaining Poplar Forest’s website including:
- Set up of event pages with assistance from Elevation Advertising
- Set up of all event ticket sales on website and in Square
- Edit content as needed
- Work with Museum Shop staff to ensure they have up to date information about upcoming events, different activities on the property that affect house tours and assisting in sales as needed.
- Assist with Poplar Forest’s social media presence, playing a large role in coordinating posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms with the President & CEO, and the Director of Programs and Education
- Be familiar with the Hands on History Center activities and be able to assist with school groups as needed
- Represent Poplar Forest at outside events as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in history, museum studies, education or related field
- Strong organizational skills is an absolute must
- Ability to work an irregular schedule to accommodate covering events
- Ability to work independently and multi-task
- Experience working with the general public is preferred
- Highly motivated with an ability to adapt to change
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Demonstrated leadership and project management abilities
Salary & Benefits:
- Life insurance – employer offers life insurance (employee only) equal to the greater of one times annual salary or $50,000. No employee contributions required – 100% paid by employer.
- Health/Dental insurance – employer contributes to (qualified permanent full-time/part-time working 30 hours + per week) employee medical/dental coverage (currently 90% of individual coverage) and also pays a portion of dependent coverage (currently $200 per month total toward dependent coverage). Employer contributions subject to change.
- Retirement – employer contributes 3% of earnings into a safe harbor 401(k) Retirement Plan for all eligible employees (permanent staff who are 21 years of age or older). Employer also matches 33% of every dollar contributed by employees up to 6% (so a maximum additional “matching” contribution of 1.98% (33% of 6%). Employer contributions subject to change.
- Vacation – employer offers paid vacation, sick leave, and personal days which accrue biweekly:
2 weeks paid vacation annually (increases to 3 wks after 4 yrs; 4 weeks after 9 yrs)
8 days sick leave annually
2 days personal leave annually
- Salary – $30,000 – $35,000 annually (salary rate determined based on experience)
How to Apply:
- Please send resume, cover letter and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Deadline for applications is October 14, 2019. While email is preferred, if you would like to send your application package by mail, please mail to:
Mary Massie, Manager of Programs & Education
Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest
P.O. Box 419
Forest, VA 24551
No phone calls please.
There are currently no other open employment opportunities at Poplar Forest, but we are always in need of volunteers! Click here for more information.