- This event has passed.
This year’s Independence Day Celebration at Poplar Forest—like so many other events and gatherings throughout the country—will look slightly different than past years’ celebrations. Although we are planning on a smaller celebration this year, we hope you will still come out to see us—with your masks on!
Of course, our plans are dependent upon any crowd restrictions in place on July 4, so please monitor this page and our social media channels for updates.
Admission to the Independence Day festivities is included with regular admission to Poplar Forest, and gives guests access to the below activities as well as a guided, timed tour of Thomas Jefferson’s octagonal villa. Because house tours have scheduled times and capacity limits, we recommend calling the Museum Shop at 434.534.8120 to pre-book your house tour. Please note that masks are required when on guided tours and inside buildings.
- Running every 30 minutes from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. to allow for smaller groups and social distancing.
- House tours are first come, first served. Make sure to call the Museum Shop at 434.534.8120 to reserve your spot!
Enslaved Community Talks
- Available from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- El Cabrito’s
- Kona Ice
- Brick Making Demonstrations/Marble Making
- 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m.
- Loom Demonstrations
- 10:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
- Bucket Making
- 10:45 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., 1:45 p.m.
NOTE: some activities may be messy!
- Quill Pen Writing
- Scavenger Hunt
- Rolling Hoops
- Game of Graces
- Cup and Ball