Roots and Reconnection: Celebrating Our Story
October 29, 2022 from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
- This event has passed.
Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest’s African American Advisory Group unveils a brand-new exhibit at our Quarter Site on Oct. 29, 2022. Join us for a day of celebration, remembrance and recognition as we open the first new interpretive exhibit at the site in over 10 years.
The new exhibit features 8 new signs highlighting the names of the enslaved who lived at the site in the early nineteenth century, 3D printed reproductions of artifacts that were found at the site and original artwork by Caldecott Medal winning artist, E.B. Lewis. By highlighting Sunday dinner, community, life indoors and religion, the exhibit aims to provide visitors with a glimpse of life at the site on Sunday, the enslaved community’s only day away from working for Jefferson.
Admission to Roots and Reconnection: Celebrating Our Story is free to the general public. A $5 reservation is required to reserve lunch.
The day-long celebration of remembrance and recognition is presented by Poplar Forest’s African American Advisory Group and the Corporation for Jefferson’s Poplar Forest Board of Directors.
Schedule of Events
- 10:00 a.m. Welcome
- 10:30 a.m. – Performance by Kuumba Dance Ensemble to lead to the Quarter Site
- 11:15 a.m. – Presentation by E. B. Lewis
- 11:45 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.- Lunch provided by Bistro Bros. BBQ (a $5 reservation is requested so we can help cover the cost of the lunch and to ensure we have enough food for everyone)
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Music by Lew Taylor
- 1:00-3:00 Concurring activities:
- 1:00 p.m. Book Talk and signing by Joshua Augustus Clemons
- 1:30-2:15 p.m. Young Artist’s Workshop with E. B. Lewis
- 2:00 p.m. Book Talk and signing by Gayle Jessup White
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. Dylan Pritchett and Robert Watson interpreting life at the Quarter Site
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. Early nineteenth century Children’s games
- Poplar Forest Archaeology Department on site to talk about and show artifacts related to the enslaved
- House open for visitors to explore on their own
Thank you to our Sponsors
Bronze Level Sponsors
Elmer L. Rose
Silent Witnesses, Inc.
Church School Union of Lynchburg and Vicinities
Dr. M. D. Mays
June M. Rose
With Out Walls Street Ministry