- This event has passed.
Ticket sales end at 5:00 p.m. July 3rd. Tickets will be available at the door on July 4th!
Thomas Jefferson held July 4th as “the only birthday I ever commemorate…” Bring your family and friends out to Poplar Forest, his Bedford County retreat, to celebrate the 247th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in historic style. Enjoy colonial-style entertainment, demonstrations by colonial artisans and craftspeople, archaeological displays, old-fashioned children’s activities, pony rides, a reading of the Declaration of Independence at 1:30 p.m. and more! Grounds admission to Independence Day festivities is $10 for adults (ages 16+); children 15 and under are free. Guided tours of the octagonal villa are available for an additional fee day-of only.
- Pony Rides by Five Blessings Farm
- Colonial Flag Display
- Spinning Demonstrations by Dawn Doss
- African American Folktales by Dylan Pritchett
- Blacksmith Demonstrations by Iron Kilt Forge
- Handmade History
- Basket Weaving Demonstrations by Robert Watson
- Tin type photography by Greg’s 19th Century Photography
- Jimbo Cary’s Traveling Music Museum
- Book Signing by Tea Notes Press
- Common Stock Colonial Entertainments
- Loom Demonstrations by Be My Hands Enterprises
- Surveying Demonstrations by Be My Hands Enterprises
- Colonial Music by Pete and Ellen Vigour
- Historic Perfumery by Perrin Cottage Perfumery
- Flag handout by Blue Ridge Chapter, NSDAR
- 18th Century historic art prints by White Historic Art